Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) Can Benefit Your Company Beyond DIB Contracts
What is it?
The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) 2.0 is a set of cybersecurity standards developed by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to protect sensitive information from cyber threats. The CMMC 2.0 framework is in the process of being finalized for release in 2023 and is expected to be required for companies bidding on DoD contracts. Although it’s easy to see CMMC as applicable to DoD only, it’s essential to understand how CMMC certification can benefit your organization’s cybersecurity in a broader way.
In addition to providing assurance of a mature and improving cybersecurity program, the CMMC certification can give your organization an advantage over those who have not committed to achieving a certification. Many government agencies and contractors outside of the DoD sphere are looking for certified organizations capable of demonstrating their commitment to cybersecurity – a CMMC certification can give you a competitive edge.
Did You Know?
- CMMC can help your organization comply with other regulatory requirements and maps to most industry standard risk management frameworks.
- By implementing CMMC’s cybersecurity best practices, your organization is better equipped to comply with other regulations requiring protection of sensitive information.
- Achieving CMMC ensures your organization has implemented cybersecurity best practices.
- It reduces the risk of a data breach and therefore your business, legal and reputational exposure.
- The CMMC aligns with the National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) 800-171 risk management framework. This gives you a standard well recognized outside of the Department of Defense (DOD) to ensure your clients and partners know you are committed to protecting their sensitive information.
- It helps build a culture of security awareness which reduces the likelihood of a breach.
- Improves your standing for cyber insurance policies.
If you’re interested in achieving CMMC certification, it’s essential to work with a trusted cybersecurity partner who can guide you through the process and help you maintain ongoing compliance.BACK TO BLOGS